- 1 to 3 years
part-time study 10-12 courses
- Flexible Delivery Edmonton (downtown), Calgary, across Alberta, some online
Apply now start any time
Concern for health and safety in the workplace
is increasing among workers and employers
across all industries and society in general.
This part-time U of A certificate program is designed to help
practitioners from many different backgrounds
develop the competencies needed to be
effective in the development, implementation,
and evaluation of health and safety programs
and systems in a wide variety of occupational
settings. In a recent survey of OHS graduates, 96% felt the knowledge and skills
gained from the program were relevant to their jobs.
Alberta-wide course availability
To offer optimum accessibility the OH&S program is offered Edmonton, Calgary, with the option to complete some courses online, and throughout Alberta through affiliations with the following institutions:
tel. (780) 492-3037 or (780) 248-1533
classses are held at Mount Royal University and EHSP
- Ft. McMurray, Keyano College
Website, tel. (780) 715-3903
- Grande Prairie Regional College
Website, tel. (780) 539-2210
- Medicine Hat College
Website, tel. (403) 529-3875
- Red Deer College
Website, tel. (403) 342-3442
Qualifying for admission
- High school diploma and minimum two years work experience
Conditional admission may be granted to individuals who do not meet all admission requirements.
Get a head start
In cooperation with several professional associations who share, believe and encourage the philosophy of Continuing Professional Development, the University of Alberta, is pleased to honor individuals possessing the following professional designations and encourage them to apply for exemption credit and receive credit towards our program:
Core competencies of our graduates
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of healthy and safe workplaces
- Enhance the professional practices of people responsible for occupational health and safety programs, systems, procedures, and techniques
- Develop the professional competence of people who practice (or aspire to practice) as occupational health and safety professionals
- Develop an understanding of and the ability to apply concepts, principles, and practices involved in the anticipation, recognition, evaluation, control, prevention, reduction, and elimination of hazards, accidents, injuries, diseases, and disabilities to people in on-the-job situations
- Help prepare you for registration as a Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) as granted by the Board of Canadian Registered Safety Professionals (BCRSP).
- Assist Registered Occupational Hygienists maintain registration with the Canadian Registration Board of Occupational Hygienists (CRBOH) and the American Board of Industrial Hygiene (ABIH).